Monday, November 10, 2008

are the preconceptions and notions of christianity that we have been taught since we were little kids just getting in the way of God manifesting his Spirit in us in the way that he wants to?

that we have to unlock our personal worldviews, let go of all defensive mental triggers, let go of ourselves and your identity and have faith that now God can fully immerse your mind with nothing in the way?

is that really how it's done? because i cannot do those things easily at all, and if i have to struggle so hard to more or less disable all i am, i need to know if this is the right thing to do or not.

3 comments:

mikee said...

i dont think its wrong, but what we've been taught is very knowledge based that doesn't easily invite the Spirit into manifesting in true experiences.

I think we're less inclined to being open and would rather have/know whats going to happen. It's hard to go into complete surrender, bringing pride into the equation.

Being ready to meet with God means putting aside everything (pride being the biggest thing), I do agree that the subconscious mental blocks will probably fight against that -- but a true DESIRE will overcome that

jlin said...

I was chatting with Josh about this the other day, and he pointed out something that should've been obvious to me.

Not everything is epic.

And thus I question...if our given gifts are less flashy (ie teaching, admin or encouraging), would we feel the same as people when they speak in tongues? Do encourager always encourage (no, I spew massive amounts of insults)? Do teachers always teach (and Josh spews alot of non-sense too)? Just the same, tongues people don't always speak in tongues.

The question now is...how do I know if I have the Spirit or not, if my gifts are far less than epic?

sajoy said...

I was reading this from CS Lewis:
“The more we let God take us over, the more truly ourselves we become- because he made us…It is when I turn to Christ, when I give up myself to His personality, that I first begin to have a real personality of my own.”

It's so paradoxical that surrender actually means that while we are seemingly dying to ourselves, we're actually becoming more true to ourselves as God created us to be...since he created us and knows us that well. And the struggle is often about that we don't want to give up control to God. I had some recent thoughts about this on my blog that's pretty much summed up in this comment.